Monday, September 1, 2014

I'm Not the One Sleeping in Sunday School

Alright y'all I bet you are on the lake one last time for labor day! That's just too fun! Do something crazy for me! Okay so remember that habit of mine to fall asleep in random places and random positions? I think that curse is gone! I didn't fall asleep once this whole week! :) I hope you are proud because that is a big accomplishment. Instead it's Sister Rhodes turn. haha We were teaching a lesson the other day about Alma the younger when the less active woman's eyes got really big. At first I was thinking wow my explanation must be really good I should use this more often. Then I look over my shoulder and Sister Rhodes is asleep! The woman looked at me and said, "Is she alright." YIKES! haha That same thing happened in 3 other lessons and during all of both ward's sacrament meetings. I don't know how to help the poor thing so all I can do is laugh! I've started keeping a tally of how many times she falls asleep where I resist from laughing. I keep my cool during lessons but personal study is just too funny. Did you hear about the bomb in Safford?!?!?! Yeah, that was us...You know the show Hoarders? I lived that on Saturday. All of the missionaries helped a woman and her 14 dogs move from a trailer/storage compartment house thing to a small apartment. I've never held my breath for so long in my whole life. This woman had so much stuff! There was kinda sorta walk ways to get from one end to the other but that was about it. I've never seen so much dog hair and bugs and rodent poop and just junk! I was freaking out a little bit. Then the woman said her landlord had infested her dogs with lice and flees to try to get her to leave! AHHHHH! That's when I really started to freak out inside. After 5 hours of working we somewhat cleared out the big stuff and then we literally bombed the place. It was really awful to see what that woman was living like. Our little duplex has never felt more like home! We spoke in church this past Sunday! A ton of people when out of town for Labor Day so pretty much every missionary in the zone was asked to speak in church. I talked about choosing to become who God wants us to be. It was really fun to study a little bit for it Sunday morning. I was reading Matthew 14 this week and thought about Peter and how much faith he had to step out of the boat and walk through the storm towards Christ. I used this analogy in my talk. We need to step out of the "boat of the world", walk through "a few waves and storms of life", and eventually we will be able to return to Christ. Then I reread the whole story and thought about how Peter was able to get back to the boat. It just says that once Christ and Peter returned to the boat the storms stopped. It never explains how they got there. What do you think? I think the journey was still hard back to the boat. It's not like the boat was staying still. IT WAS IN A STORM! But I bet the journey back was a lot easier with Christ walking right next to Peter than it was a lot easier. I LOVE THE SCRIPTURES! AHHHHHH I had one of the most spiritually experiences of my mission this past week! Doug attended his first baptism. Unfortunately someone in the Spanish branch got baptized so it was kinda hard to understand everything. Most of it was in Span-glish so it wasn't too bad but Doug was confused. Afterwards we had a lesson on the baptismal covenants. Doug told us about how he hasn't received an answer to his prayers about the Book of Mormon yet he just feels like he is happier when he reads the chapters that we assign him every morning and how...I just sat there looking at him with the biggest grin on my face. Then I pointed out that his answers were those feelings of peace and joy that he has been feeling. We talked about his addictions and how much easier they have gotten since he has started meeting with us and reading the Book of Mormon. Doug knows that the Book of Mormon is true. He is slowly understanding how all of the things that have been able to change in his life are because he is letting the gospel be part of his life. Oh I love teaching that man so much. Every time that we see him he shines just a little bit more. TOOOOOO COOL. I saw the Beals yesterday and spent a good 10 minutes giggling with Sister Beals about Chloe! I am so glad you guys got to meet my Arizona parents. They heard about us riding our bikes at night and were appalled. Sister Beals said, "Sister Barton, I know your mother and she would not be okay with you riding around at night!" SO they gave us a ride down the hill and then Sister Rhodes told Brother Beals to kill my 2nd pet scorpion Demitery (I don't know how to spell it). It was really sad but I'll find a new one. While they were disposing of him I kept reminding them that killing him on a Sunday was breaking at least 2 commandments. Killing and not keeping the sabbath day holy. What were they thinking??!?!?! I am clean though :) Okay family and friends. I'm out of time. I love you all and can't wait to hear all about your crazy lives. Keep in tough and be crazy in the 801 for me! I'm going on a hike today and cannot wait to be back in at least a little bit of green. Arizona literally makes me feel like I'm living on the moon because there is not green! Follow up: how was the attributes of Christ assignment? Which ones did you choose to study? Assignment: This weeks assignment is way more than sitting down as a family and reading. Nope this week pray for someone to serve. Then go and do! I promise that when you really put your trust in Heavenly Father and have the attitude to do whatever he asks he will help you find someone who needs you. It can be something small like cheering someone up. Service comes in all shapes and sizes but try it. Everyone could use a hand. Favorites of the week: I studied my patriarchal blessing a lot this week! It was really good to break it down and see how I've already seen so much of it apply to so much of my life. Romans 12:2, D&C 135:6, and 1 Cor. 13! You're going to love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment