Monday, November 23, 2015

Oct. 5 The Big City

I have no idea what to say this week. It's been crazy. This institute is HUGE! They have as many institute teachers as we did members back in SIlver City. There are soooo many people here. My new companion is Sister Adams. She's from Logan, Utah. She's just finished her training and is still trying to figure out the area. We are pretty much figuring everything out together which makes things very interesting. I woke up Wednesday morning and the first thing Sister Adams said to me was, "I've never seen anyone fall asleep that fast!" Yes- falling asleep is one skill I've mastered on my mission. Between MLC and general conference, I've only had 3 days to meet a whole lot of people but from what I've seen the ward is mostly converts. They all seem to have the craziest conversion stories I've ever heard. Most of the people I've met so far have come from really hard family lives where their families hate mormons but they knew the truth so they got baptized and are enduring to the end! They are incredible examples to me. One of our investigators has had a baptismal date set for December 26th since January. Her mom asked her to wait one year until she could be baptized with her families support. She loved conference and loves everything about the church she has a count down to December and couldn't be more ready! We have had some pretty incredible miracles though. Our main progressing investigator is Luke. Pray for this man. He's incredible! He's been taught twice before I got here but this week we taught him about the gospel of Jesus Christ and The Book of Mormon. He didn't grow up in a religion and really didn't have any foundation when his girlfriend introduced him to the Sisters. This weekend he was able to watch conference. Right after conference. He asked us when he could get baptized. YOU CAN ALWAYS COUNT ON THE PROPHET. He said he came to conference with questions just like we had asked him to do. All throughout conference he was able to check off his answers one my one. The spirit was really strong as he told us how happy he was that he had found the truth. We will be preparing to help Luke enter the waters of baptism these next few weeks :). I feel so blessed so have been able to walk into this area and be able to have met Luke! There are always a ton of people on campus. The U of A is known as the biggest party school in the nation. The students are very proud of that fact. We talk to everyone we can....sometimes it's rough. This week we met Matthew on a park bench. He was waiting for a friend when we started talking to him. We invited him to check out the institute. We got to teach him the restoration and testify of how we can all be forgiven for our sins because his Savior, Jesus Christ, died for him. He got really emotional and said, "I think you ladies need to teach me more." We get to start teaching Matthew more this week! I couldn't be more excited or grateful! I already know I'm going to love serving here. The people wear pants that are 7 sizes too small and most of them don't want the crazy mormon girls to talk to them but I know that I'm here for a reason. I'm grateful for Sister Adams. I'm already learning so much from her sweet spirit. This girl is so good at getting to know everyone and letting them know she's got their back. I know that this church is true. I know that we have a prophet on the earth today. I'm grateful that we were able to learn from inspired leaders this past weekend. I love general conference with all of my heart. Elder Christofferson said it too perfectly, "We do not strive for conversion to the Church but to Christ and his Gospel." He is the center of everything! As each speaker stood and bore their testimony I felt so at peace. I know this church is true. I know that Heavenly Father loves us. I know that with faith there can be no doubt and no fear in God's grand plan for us. Thank you for being amazing. I love you all :) My scripture of the week: Mosiah 7:33 -Sister Barton

No comments:

Post a Comment