Monday, July 28, 2014

Has it really already been a month?

Hola Brothers, Sisters, Friends, Parents, and Strangers who want to read this! How is everybody? Aunt Kathy- Your package made my life! Thank you so much for the cute note and magnet. I loved it. Stacy- Your wedding invitations are so cute! Sister Smyth and I were dying/freaked out because marriage is just weird to think about. YIKES! I can't wait to see wedding pictures though! Mom- I haven't seen your package yet...... This was one FULL week! My tan lines have improved dramatically! The watch tan line and shoe tan line are my favorite but they are all great. A thousand bottles of sun screen couldn't stop those puppies from happening. Everyone keeps asking about the weather and the water so here's the deal. Arizona is hot. Really hot. But that's kinda awesome because then everyone feels bad for the tomatoes that are charging down the street so we get a lot of members and non-members stopping us and forcing us to come into their houses for some water and A.C.! K fine. I'll come into your house and teach you about Jesus. It's pretty cool. Most of them tell us they are already Catholic and don't care about the Book of Mormon. That's when we say great lets open up the Bible and say a prayer. Soon enough we are all friends! Fun announcement! I think I'm going granola. A sister in the ward gave us an essential oils schpeal last night when we couldn't go anywhere during the rain storm. I don't know how but that stuff can solve anything! My mind was blown! It sounds weird and sketchy but Sister Carpenter really knows how to make you feel good with some essential oils. :) Let's talk about the rain. The storms here are unreal! There is lightning like crazy and buckets just come down! We were at dinner the other night with a less active family that I love and it started hailing. Nobody knows how it can go from 104 degrees to 68 and hailing in 5 minutes but it did and it was so cool! Loved it! I'm very grateful that we have been inside every time that one of the crazy storms has hit. Last night, after the rain story Sister Smyth and I rode our bikes home and had to dodge frogs! FROGS! Like big fat ones. When it rains they just come out of their hiding places and attack the streets. When we saw the first one on the Carpenter's porch we were thinking they were so fun and cool. Then we got on our bikes and were screaming because it was so hard to see them in the street before running them over! I felt really bad. They covered the streets! ahh!!! Next crazy story. My first day in Safford I placed a Book of Mormon and was super stoked because the girls said they wanted to know more! We called them a few days later and didn't hear from them. Well this week the Jones' took us out to dinner and our waitress was one of the girls! BLESSINGS! Kathi told us she had been meaning to call us (alright Kathi come on) and so we set us an appointment right then and will start teacher her this next week! Awesome! Oh I got flight lessons! Trent would be proud to know that I made it to the Alaska Airport almost safely! I crashed at the end but it's only because a cruise ship distracted me at the very end. Brother Cornelison is the grumpiest/spunkiest man I've ever met. Him and his wife are less active so we went to teach him. During the lesson he kept giving one work answers and being a grump but then I asked him about his flight simulator and he was all giggly! Right after the lesson he forced me to have a flight lesson. K fine! It was so stressful but I loved it! It was so funny to see Brother Cornelison get all excited and piloty on us. We are officially friends and they were at church on Sunday! YAY! Sister Smyth and I developed a smirk. We will be getting ready so start a lesson and that's when the smirk comes out. The smirk means- okay Sister Barton teach these people about the gospel while I sit here and watch. SCARY! I know that's what a trainer is supposed to do and it will teach me how to teach but I don't like that smirk. We have a few investigators who want to be baptized but can't because of legal reasons. There are A TON of prisons around here so it's really common to teach people who just got released from prison and are ready to try to start over. SO MANY PEOPLE ARE READY! But there is stuff that we have to work on before we can take the next step and get baptized. My favorite investigator is Doug. He is the nicest guy I've ever met. . It kills me to see how hard he is on himself. He basically believes that he is worthless. We went around his house and wrote "I am a son of God" on all of his mirrors and made him promise to say it every time he looked in the mirror. It's amazing how much of a different the gospel can make in someone's like. Doug is a completely different person that who I met three weeks ago. Miracle time! The other day all of our appointments fell through and we really didn't know what to do. We had been biking for hours and were getting pretty tired. We decided to pray for guidance. As soon as the prayer was over a name popped into my head. This name didn't make sense to me because I knew that the family I was thinking of was out of town. We decided to head that direction anyway. Within 2 minutes of riding we got to meet Paul and Michelle. They had never heard of the church but wanted their kids to know about the bible and were interested in the Book of Mormon! I was in heaven! We have an appointment with them tomorrow! I cannot wait to get started! Going to the Beal's house didn't make any sense until we met that family! I love how the Holy Ghost works! We kept going toward the Beal's house and ran into 3 less active families! WHAT?!?! We couldn't believe it., On top of all that the Beal's were home. Please pray for Sister Beals! That woman is absolutely amazing! They forced us to go in a eat some lunch. I could chat with Brother and Sister Beals forever! The biggest lesson I've learned this week is to just do it. It don't matter if it makes sense or if it's scary. JUST DO IT! Don't be afraid to talk to the random gangster walking down the street. Don't be afraid to go a direction that isn't in your planner. Don't be afraid to tell someone that you need help understanding something! I'm grateful to have so many people here in Safford that take care of us. We have awesome ward members that force us to let them help us. I'm so grateful for a goofy companion that makes me laugh and pushes me to be a better teacher and disciple of Christ. I'm grateful for all ya'll and the support that you have given me! Thank you for being so awesome! I love you all!!!! Be safe and have a good week! Random good ones: Alma 7:20, D&C 24:12, Helaman 5:30, 2 Cor. 5:7 -Sister Barton

No comments:

Post a Comment