Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Teaching the Teachers

Missions are weird. That's what I have decided. As missionaries we get up at 6 am, work all day to study, teach, and talk to everyone, then we plan for the next day, and go to bed at 10:30. We repeat this routine everyday yet everyday is so different. We strive everyday to teach people about the restored Gospel and how it can bless their lives. We try so hard to understand peoples needs and concerns then teach them how they can overcome those challenges. All of this work is supposed to be helping everyone around us. I have tried so hard to be a light in other's lives. Yesterday we were driving to an appointment with a good friend. Her name is Amber. This girl is incredible. She has been going through a lot of hard things and just has a rock solid testimony of the Savior. We were talking about how she wants to be a criminal investigator because she wants to be a light in a dark situation. Right now she works at the prison and just loves everyone that she works with. As we were talking about what we wanted to be she said that her occupation only is going to help her to be what she wants to be then went on about what she wants to do with her life. OH boy! The spirit was so strong as she talked about God's plan for each of us and how much potential we don't even realize we have. I decided she needs to be a motivational speaker because she was pretty much preaching to us missionaries. We love taking her to lessons! The point of this story was thinking about how we spend everyday trying to help people overcome their fears and see their potential as sons and daughters of god yet at the end of the day I feel like I've learned way more than anyone that I teach has. In the scriptures it promises over and over that when we lose our selves in the work we will find a much better version of our own selves. I have found that to be so very true. I have a long way to go but with every sacrifice and trial I have discovered something new and amazing about myself and about my Heavenly Father and his son. Matthew 10:39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it. Matthew 16:25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. Doctrine and Covenants 103:27 Let no man be afraid to lay down his life for my sake; for whoso layeth down his life for my sake shall find it again. Doctrine and Covenants 98:13 And whoso layeth down his life in my cause, for my name’s sake, shall find it again, even life eternal. Wow this email is going way off the path that my sticky notes had planned...okay this week we also got to work at a booth at the county fair...I didn't know I would ever feel culture shock in Safford Arizona but you should have see Sister Rhodes and I as we walking into that dark death trap of games, music, and fried food. I have never felt so our of place in my head I just kept singing "I know that my redeemer lives." We were on the opposite side of the fair than the live band which was good but it was crazy! We were there for 5 hours on Friday and 3 hours on Saturday. It was long and we didn't get to talk to a whole lot of people but we did meet a few referrals for the Hermanas and I talked to a real live cowboy who wanted to go to church! We taught him the restoration in 5 minutes and he loved it! We had to give her to the singles ward elders but I'm really excited to hear what happens with him! It doesn't matter who teaches him! Next miracle! Remember Amber from 2 paragraphs ago? Well she has a friend who works at the prison with her. His name is Mario. She started telling him about the church and at first he was super anti. Then after three months of asking questions he came to church 3 weeks ago. Then yesterday he just came up to us and said, "Okay. Every time that I come here I love it. Every time that I learn more I feel like it's catered to me. I need you two to help me get baptized!" WHAT!?!?! He has been so prepared and is so ready! He grew up in the ghetto of California and has had history in gangs and stuff but has completely changed his life around and is ready to take the next step! He isn't in our boundaries so I'm not sure if we get to teach him but I am so excited for him! He wants to be part of our ward so we'll see what happens! It's up to the stake president and bishops! I can't wait to witness Mario's baptism though! There is a lot more that I want to tell all of you because this week was just so great but I'm out of time so I will just have to tell you all later! Just know that I am so happy and so very very exhausted! Thank you for the support and love it is so desperately needed. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the true church. The Book of Mormon can bring an individual pure and everlasting joy. My very wise Aunt Kathy loves the word joy. This Gospel doesn't bring happiness. That just wouldn't be enough. It brings joy to all who allow it. I know that Joseph Smith saw God the Father and his son. I know that I can be with my family forever because of the priesthood authority that is on the earth today. I love being a missionary and seeing the light of Christ fill a room and fill people's hearts. I have learned more in the past 3 and 1/2 months than I ever thought possible! Have a great week everyone! ps. It's happened. My Canadian in Toronto is going to be mad but....I wore a winter coat in 70 degrees and was freezing....I'm sorry Sister Frodsham. Arizona has gotten to me.
We walking into the relief society presidents living room and she just started laughing at our new accessories.Thanks mom
Sister Rhodes didn't like the first one so here's this one.....i don't get the difference but whatever!

No comments:

Post a Comment