Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Off With It's Head- March 23

I did it! I captured, be-headed, skinned, cooked, and ate a rattlesnake! Oh you better believe I was freaking out the whole time. We went to Tucson on Saturday with Ronaldo so that he could watch a baptism. When we went home for out lunch break we found the Priest family doing something in the front yard. I got out of the car and noticed Brother Priest had a pellot gun and was preparing to shoot a RATTLESNAKE! He shot it a few times which kinda just made it made then he made me help him pick it up with a big stick thingy and chop off it's head! Oh I was freaking out. Once the head was off he talked me into holding the body. NOBODY TOLD ME DEAD BODIES MOVE. The thing twitched and I was running for my life. After a little while I calmed down. The girls skinned it and 15 minutes later we were chowing down on a rattler. It was pretty incredible. I've been praying for miracles my whole mission. The one week I add adventures to my prayers we get this! It was the best. I will be sent the rattle home soon. :) Here's the scoop on my Spanish. Hermana Dominguez is determined to help me figure out the language so we read the Book of Mormon together in Spanish every morning. I can say the words right. The only problem is I have no clue what it's saying and my mouth gets really tired! It's a work in progress though. The work here is still going really well. Naomi, Ronaldo, and Kristina are the main progressing investigators right now. Naomi has a two year old that calls me Nana. The other night we got a phone call from him because he had to say Goodnight to the Nanas. It's the best! We've got the son and mom on board. Now we just need the father! It's interesting how in every lesson he sits close enough to hear but far away enough to be kept out of the lesson. Please pray that his heart will be softened! There is a member who brings her boyfriend to church about every other week. I'm not really sure why he hasn't been taught yet but we kinda cornered him yesterday and asked if he wanted to take the discussions. He said yes! Then we went off to help teach primary....so basically he is already a member. I'm really excited to start teaching him. Next miracle was yesterday as well. A few weeks ago a member had introduced us to her neighbor. She had been building up the courage to give her friend a book of mormon and finally decided to do it. We went with her and had a brief chat on the porch. We went back yesterday to follow up with her. She let us come inside and told us that she was Catholic and wasn't planning on changing but that she would love to chat and hang out any time. Right as we were getting ready to leave her husband came in the kitchen. He looked straight at me and say, "I read the stuff that you left. I've got lots of questions." Ahhhh we were pretty excited. He asked us a billion questions about the Book of Mormon and how to receive salvation. We will be teaching him this week. I couldn't be more grateful for sweet Sister Epperson for giving us the referral. We called her right after and she was thrilled. She was so excited to have been part of missionary work! I hope that it gives her a boost to do it again! That's pretty much it for the week. The work just keeps on keeping on. I know this gospel is true. Yesterday we had to opportunity to speak in church about the enabling power of the atonement. Everything in this gospel is centered around the atonement of Jesus Christ. I know he lives. I know we are all endowed with power to overcome everything that is put in our path because on the enabling power of the atonement. In my person study I have begun inserting the term Enabling power in place of the word grace. it has opened my eyes to the power that the atonement can have in our lives. I love you all! I'm stoked to get a cute addition to the family! Kenley is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen. Spoil her for me! -Sister Barton

No comments:

Post a Comment