Thursday, June 4, 2015

May 11

Well I pretty much spilled all my good stories to you yesterday but here we go again! This week went by sooo fast! I can hardly remember what even happened. First Miracle: One of our investigators has been really hard to consistently meet with. They often cancel appointments and are hard to get a hold of. The husband (who didn't want anything to do with us at first) has been listening to the Book of Mormon on the gospel library app for about a month now. He listens to about 5 chapters a day. The times that we do get to meet with him he is always excited to tell us about what he has learned. He told us that he decided to put himself in the writer's shoes. He told us about how he would have gotten rid of Lamen and Lemual long before Nephi did if he had to be stuck with them in the wilderness. It's amazing to see him change before our eyes. The Book of Mormon is helping him change in ways that he doesn't even realize. The first time I met this man he told me about growing up in the Ghetto of Mexico. He had been involved in gangs and has lost a lot of his friends and family because of it. He has given up on God time and time again because he doesn't feel like God cares about him. Now this man can't stop reading the Book of Mormon. He told us about how he feels like God is taking away so many of his burdens as he listens to the Spirit through the Book of Mormon. He has decided that he is doing this whole faith thing in steps. He wants to ready, pray, then go to church. No exceptions. A month and a half ago he wouldn't even touch the Book of Mormon so we have high hopes for him! Even though we haven't been able to teach him very often, it's clear that the spirit has! We keep trying to tell him that he can pray about the Book of Mormon's truthfulness before finishing it. This man is stuborn. I know that he will eventually come through. Second Miracle: A family in our ward is in the process of adopting 3 of their foster kids. Last Monday we got the okay to start teaching them! They have been going to church for a while now. 2 of the girls are dead set of getting baptized asap. The teenage son is struggling a little bit. We asked him if he believed that he was a Child of God. He almost looked ashamed as he shook his head no. We are working on helping him recognize his answers as he begins to pray. I'm really excited to start teaching these kids! The girls pretty much teach us the lessons and are really proud to know the share how much they already know. I love being a missionary. I love being able to see God's hand in people's lives. Being a missionary has completely changes who I am. He knows exactly what we can all become. It's just a matter of trusting in him. -Sister Barton Mom requested a poem so here ya go: Because of Him It is because of him, I'll give up part of my life The one who has brought me bright hope through great strife Because of His mercy, because of His grace I find inner strength, no matter the race Because of HIm, the dark becomes light The haze becomes clear and the future is bright Because of Him, I can find joy With my family forever, death will not annoy Because of Him, my soul can find rest As He dwells in my heart, there He is no guest Because of His love, I'll say goodbye to my mom For a few short months, though at times it seems long To share this glad message and help others to see How much He can bless them, just like He has me Because through life may be hard and the road may be dim There is peace, hope and light, all because of him. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment