Wednesday, January 14, 2015

January 12-Going Greek?

Family! Hello! How is everyone? Things in Vail Arizona are going pretty well. The week of winter is over so I for sure can't complain. I have to start out by telling you about my new friend, George. One rainy day Sister Charles and didn't want to drive home for lunch so we stopped at the one and only cafe near us. Before we went in we prayed for someone to be put in our path. As soon as we walk in we meet the owner, George. While Sister Charles was in the restroom he came up and asked me where we were from. I explained that we were missionaries out teaching people about Jesus Christ. He starts telling me about how he loved Jesus and pretty much baring his testimony to me. He suddenly stopped and asked me if we were like Mormon nuns.....NOPE! Then he asked if we were allowed to get married and pretty much asked about how the whole mission thing worked. He told me about how he moved here from Grease and just loves it. Then out of nowhere he comments that he thinks that since I love Jesus I should marry is Greek grandson and "make greek babies"....things got awkward really fast. Sister Charles came back so he walked away. We finished out food and went to pay. George was at the register ready to help us. I introduced them to each other and he told Sister Charles about his plan to set me up with his grandson. Once again we tried to explain our missionary purpose. We both bore our testimonies in the middle of that tiny little cafe. George got really quiet and suddenly have us both hugs. We asked him if we could leave him with a pamphlet and come back to teach him. He told us he would love to learn more! We will be teaching him on Tuesday! Everyone in town is really really stoked for the chapel open house we have this next weekend! All the missionaries spent a big chunk of time this weekend blitzing our area, handing out invitations to the open house. There isn't very much going on in this part of town so EVERYONE is really curious about the new building. I was shocked at how many people think they aren't allowed into the church building. On the blitz one of the Bishops brought his kids so that some of the missionaries could go on splits with them. His daughter and I had a blast tracking up and down streets. She was really scared at first but by the end she was the one doing the talking! Yesterday at church Bishop Merrill talked to the ward about how much his kids and all the youth that helped have fallen in love with missionary work! Lots of parents came and thanked us for letting the youth join us. Wow if these youth think tracking is fun they are in for a really big treat when they start actually teaching people. The best part was when they asked if we go tracking all the time. We explained the role of members in the work and how much more effective missionary work is when members are helping find people. It was a blessing to see so many light bulbs light up at they told us they were going to invite their friends to the new church building or how they were going to give out invitations to their neighbors! They are the greatest examples! This week I got to go on exchanges with the YSA sisters! I went with Sister Jones to her area which is pretty much all of Tucson. At first YSA gave me a little bit of culture shock but by the end of the day I was in love with serving in YSA. It's funny how different it is to teach a 60 year old man than it is a 20 year old single girl. There are elders and Sisters in YSA which means Sister Jones and I were only in charge of the girls. Our dinner appointment consisted of chatting about who got engaged to who and where everyone is going on their honeymoons. WEIRD! Oh it was so weird. We did get to teach a less active girl named Stevie. Stevie is one of those girls that had my respect from the beginning just because she is who she is and she's not going to change that for anyone. She has LOTS of animals including dead ones that she keeps in her freezer...yes. I am not kidding. She showed me her rat that has been dead for 3 years...yeah. She fed her dragon lizard thing worms while we were teaching her and I was just loving getting to know this girl. One day I just want to be as chill as good old Stevie. Last new of the week is Heidi's baptism! Everyone told us that the church was 10 minutes away....it was 30 so we were 20 minutes late but somehow so were the baptism suits. BLESSINGS! I walked in right when they were getting ready to start. Heidi made a huge scene and everyone cheered...it was a little embarrassing but whatever! As soon as we sat down I look over and President was sitting there. Oops. I should probably be on time next time. The baptism was incredible. It just made me feel like I was home! Almost everyone in the ward that I am close to was there. Including Sister Howl who manages to slip me muffins every time that I see her. She makes it seem like a dirty secret which is exactly why I love her. Sister Charles was cracking up. The Dunfords sand and Heidi bore her testimony of how she got to where she is at. The spirit was so strong and she was just glowing! Afterwards she wouldn't let the elders take a picture with her until "all her missionaries" were in the shot. It made me really miss Sister Call. This week has had so many rewarding miracles that helped me remember how blessed I truly am. This is the hardest thing I've ever done but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love being a missionary. I love being able to teach people about how much their Heavenly Father loves them. I love knowing that this gospel is beyond true. I love feeling the prayers of family, friends, and strangers all around the world. I can't wait to be able to go to the temple this week with my zone! A few women in the Corona ward have been teaching Sister Charles and I how to do family history. It's addicting! I am planning on taking a family name to the temple for the first time this week. It's been such a blessing to be able to learn about my ancestors. I can't wait to serve one of them through temple work. Sarah or Mary- one of you might need to help me with baptisms :) I love you all! Have a great week! Don't forget about your missionary in Arizona! -Sister Barton

No comments:

Post a Comment