Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Week of Dec. 8- Getting lost in Arivaca

Where do I begin! My heart is so full of gratitude for the miracles that I have been able to be a part of this week. The biggest one is Heidi. We have been teaching her for two weeks. Every lesson that we teach is full of tears and the spirit. She lives an hour south of us so it's hard to see her more than 2 or 3 times a week but when we do we make it memorable. This woman is seriously incredible. She has been church hopping all 44 years of her life, for the most part. She loves reading and has already read the first 5 books in the book of mormon and the Gospel Principles book. When we asked her if she would be baptized by someone holding the restored priesthood authority of God she burst into tears. She explained to us that all her life she has felt like the outcast for her beliefs. In her mind she was picking pieces of every religion and not knowing where to put them. Then as soon as we starting teaching her the puzzle was all put together and she wasn't alone anymore. THIS WOMAN IS INCREDIBLE! She has family out of state she she wanted to get baptized when she goes and visits them over Christmas. Well after two weeks of ward members reaching out to her she called us today and told us her family is coming the second week of January to see her get baptized because she wants her ward family there as well!!! We couldn't be more excited for her! January 10th can't come soon enough. She will be the first baptism in over 3 years in the Madera ward! Next- Since Heidi lives an hour away we are out in Arivaca by the border a ton. They have been trying to get a branch started out there but there aren't enough active members. As I looked through the area book I was shocked at how little work has been done out there! We were determined so get the ball rolling in Arivaca so we set out for the hills and quickly learned why it seems like work hasn't been done out there......there are only 500 people in that tiny town and they all live miles and miles apart in the middle of nowhere. It's really hard to find less actives out there or anyone for that matter. We got lost about a billion times! BUT when we did talk to people they let us in because they said we were brave for chancing their beware of dog sign, coyote sign, or chancing a rattle snake in the dark! Every time someone opens a door they would say something like "Hey wait why didn't by dog attack you" or "Don't you know there are coyotes and rattlers out there, GET INSIDE!" It was awesome! Sister Call is afraid of all three animals so she wasn't too thrilled with me but it was an adventure! We have a lot of work to do though! Flirt to convert- Okay so I don't believe that missionaries should ever flirt to convert. EVER! But somehow that's what happened this week. We took a widow to one of our lessons with an investigator named Bob. Little did we know they were born in the same New York hospital a year apart from each other. They were both raised atheist and they are both so sassy! It was the weirdest thing I've ever witnessed. These 73 and 72 year olds were flirting over the Book of Mormon. WHAT! Sister Call and I just sat there with our jaws open not knowing what to do. The lesson went really well though I guess. We got a return appointment and some fellow shipping so I guess things are working out will for Bob. This week was full of up days and down days. One day this week we didn't get to teach anybody. We went over to see Barbara. It had been a week since she called us she wasn't ready. We went over and she told us that she was too busy and couldn't see us. She did the classic "I'll call you" escape. We both are heart broken about Barbara she really is so ready for the Gospel. After a day of knocking and then Barbara I was pretty down on myself and just having a rough go. We went home and I found a letter in the mailbox from a young woman in Safford. That letter changed everything! I was in tears in no time! She has decided to start preparing for a mission and says that she considers me her big sister. Okay the Lord knows us all too well. After that I stopped the whole self pity and tried to think of all the things that I am grateful for. I cannot even express how grateful I am for my savior. I am grateful for the success that I have had on my mission. I am grateful to be part of this great work. I have never before understood how much joy and peace this gospel and the atonement give. Heavenly Father loves each and every one of us to much. 3 nephi is one of my favorite books. I love reading about Jesus Christ praying with the Gentiles. The love that he has for us is indescribable. Thank you all for your letters, thoughts, and prayers. I love you so much! -Sister Barton
The district
​Arivaca. I told you it's easy to get lost!
Heidi
​Going to the Border last p-day. Too fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment